Crosstown Trail Bike Cue Sheet, Southbound
Note: This route is a combination of roads, paved pathways, and dirt trails. Several sections have stairways or other barriers, a detour is provided for each of them. No detour is provided for singletrack trails but connections are available on roads.
Section 5 - Bike South
Lands End to Geary and Park Presidio
3.2 miles / 375' elevation gain
- Section 5 South starts at Lands End Lookout visitors center.
- From the visitors center, head uphill on the sidewalk/trail paralleling Point Lobos Blvd.
- Turn left on Coastal Trail, following arrow to USS SF Memorial.
- Note: While the Coastal Trail ahead was once a railroad grade, parts of it slipped long ago. One section has a steep descent and stairway ascent. To detour, turn left on El Camino del Mar, right onto Seal Rock Drive which becomes Clement; left onto Legion of Honor Drive (opposite 34th Ave) to intersection of Legion of Honor and El Camino del Mar.
- Pass under USS SF Memorial and past lookout.
- At sign saying 'bike route right' and 'no bikes' left, turn right.
- Climb paved service road up and to the right through Lincoln Park golf course to the intersection of El Camino del Mar and Legion of Honor. (Note: Route resumes here from detour above.) (Restrooms and water nearby: go west on El Camino del Mar, then bear left on driveway behind museum and follow to end.)
- Turn left (eastbound) on El Camino del Mar.
- Turn right at Lake St (second intersection).
- Continue on Lake Street, to Park Presidio Blvd, jogging left then right at 28th to stay on Lake.
- Cross Park Presidio Blvd. On far side, turn right on wide dirt trail to enter Park Presidio Greenway.
- Cross California and Clement Streets using traffic lights on Park Presidio Blvd.
- Section 5 South ends at Geary Blvd. and Park Presidio Blvd.
Section 4 - Bike South
Geary and Park Presidio Blvd. Across Golden Gate Park to Judah and 16th Avenue
2.2 miles / 200' elevation gain
- Section 4 South of Crosstown Trail starts at Geary and Presidio Park Greenway.
- Go to the SE Corner of Geary Blvd. and Park Presidio
- Follow wide dirt trail southbound through Park Presidio Greenway.
- Follow Greenway and cross at stoplights at Anza, Balboa, and Cabrillo until you arrive at the end of the Greenway at Fulton.
- Cross Fulton and Park Presidio to far (SW) cotner.
- Head Southwest into park on dirt trail. You are now following the route defined by the Golden Gate Park Multi Use Trails Pilot; there will be occasional directional signs.
- Bear right at fork (do not cross fence); ahead veer left on asphalt path to reach crosswalk at Crossover Drive (watch for traffic).
- Cross Crossover Drive then Transverse Drive.
- Immediately turn left onto wide dirt path along Transverse Drive.
- Follow to intersection of JFK and Transverse Drive. (Note: water fountain).
- Cross JFK then Transverse to far (SE) corner.
- Take narrow dirt trail along Transverse Drive.
- Follow trail to intersection of MLK and Transverse Drive. (Note: Restrooms available on MLK just east of Crossover Drive).
- Use crosswalk to cross Transverse Drive, a small asphalt island, and MLK Drive.
- Follow paved path signed 20th Ave to exit Golden Gate Park.
- Continue on 20th Ave one block.
- Turn left on Irving.
- Turn right on 16th Ave.
- Section 4 South ends at the intersection of 16th and Judah. (Note: Bicycles are not allowed on N Judah; bus routes 28, 7, 43, 44, and 6 are nearby)
Section 3 - Bike South
Judah and 16th to Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station
2.6 miles / 610' elevation gain
- Section 3 South starts at the intersection of 16th and Judah. (Note: Bicycles are not allowed on N Judah; bus routes 28, 7, 43, 44, and 6 are nearby)
- Note: This neighborhood is a maze of twisty streets. Most instructions are 1-2 blocks apart.
- Head one block south up 16th Avenue to Kirkham (bottom of Hidden Garden Steps).
- Turn right on Kirkham.
- Turn left on 17th.
- Turn left on Moraga. Ride up to 16th, bottom of 16th Ave Tiled Steps.
- Turn left on 16th.
- Bear right on Lomita.
- Turn right on Aloha and go one block.
- Jog right onto 14th Ave. Continue up on the left hand (east) side of Grandview Park, passing the stairway at Moraga.
- Continue on 14th, bearing uphill at several intersections. Pass Rocky Outcrop Open Space and through the Green Hairstreak Butterfly Corridor to Quintara Ave.
- Turn left on Quintara.
- Turn right on 12th.
- Continue left on 9th.
- Turn right on Mesa.
- Turn right on Santa Rita (uphill side).
- At the next intersection, marked 'Not a Through Street', make a 180 degree left turn to continue on San Marcos. (Note: this is a sort of 4 way intersection where all legs are San Marcos.)
- Turn Left on Dorantes. Go one block to Magellan.
- Turn Left on Magellan. (Note: Stay to right of One Way sign.)
- Turn Right on Plaza (bottom of hill).
- Turn Right on Laguna Honda Blvd.
- Bear right into Forest Hill Muni Station.
- Section 3 ends at Forest Hill MUNI Station.
Section 2 - Bike South
Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station to Glen Park BART Station
3.1 miles / 450' elevation gain
- Section 2 South starts in front of Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station.
- Cross Laguna Honda Blvd. at traffic signal in front of Muni station, turn right and ascend staircase under arch labeled "Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center". (Note: To detour around stairway, ride downhill on Laguna Honda Blvd; past chain link fence find a trail to the right. Bear left (steep uphill) on trail, turn right at the next intersection to reach an intersection near a parking lot. Continue straight onto main route.)
- At first staircase landing, bear left onto broken concrete pathway, then turn left onto dirt trail, then immediately turn right onto dirt trail.
- Continue on trail and follow it to an intersection near a parking lot. Turn right on trail. (Note: continue from detour here.)
- Where trails merge, continue straight.
- When you reach flat open space behind Laguna Honda Hospital, bear left to follow the trail as it snakes up hill.
- At the top of hill, you will arrive at driveway between old and new hospital complex. Turn left, following edge of employee parking lot.
- Pick up trail to left of stop sign along curb. Follow trail uphill to Panorama (Note: Multiple trail options will all reach Panorama.)
- Turn right on Panorama.
- Turn right at end of road onto Twin Peaks Blvd.
- Turn right onto Portola then immediately left onto O'Shaughnessy.
- Follow O'Shaughnessy downhill.
- Section 2 South ends at Diamond and Bosworth, at Glen Park BART Station.
Section 1 - Bike South
Glen Park BART to Sunrise Point/Candlestick Point State Recreation Area
5.3 miles/ 650' elevation gain
- Section 1 South starts at the intersection of Bosworth and Diamond, at Glen Park BART.
- Ride East (downhill) on Bosworth St.
- Under freeway, use left lane.
- Bear left to stay on Bosworth St.
- Cross Mission. and continue on Murray..
- At dead-end of Murray, enter St. Mary’s Recreation Center. (Restrooms in rec center.)
- Turn right and go down service road, passing children’s playground, dog park, and path to Alemany Farm on your left.
- Cross Hwy. 280 on St. Mary’s Park Footbridge.
- Turn left on Cambridge.
- Continue up Cambridge as it curves right and heads south.
- Cross Silver. and continue on Cambridge 4 blocks further to Bacon.
- Turn right on Bacon.
- At Oxford, bear left to enter McLaren Park on paved path at Yosemite Marsh. Bear left, passing Restrooms, past a basketball court, and up a short steep hill.
- Bear left and left again on the paved path.
- Exit trail at Cambridge; turn right and cross John F. Shelley Dr.
- Note: Trail through McLaren may be narrow and has several stairways. You may need to walk your bike. To detour around stairs: Turn left on Shelley Drive. Turn left on Mansell bikeway. At Visitacion, continue downhill on Mansell a few blocks to Hamilton. Right on Hamilton, right on Delta, jog right at Wilde to continue on Delta.
- Pick up trail on other side of Shelley Dr.
- At the next fork, continue straight. You are now on Philosopher’s Way; follow arrows on granite markers.
- Follow trail as it curves left, past caretaker’s cottage and signs for Jerry Garcia Amphitheater on right (Restrooms at Amphitheater).
- Cross Shelley and continue on trail as it curves to right, following Philosopher’s Way arrows. (Note: Restrooms visible near tennis courts.)
- Cross Mansell.
- Turn left and cross Visitacion to pick up trail and bear right, heading southeast.
- Proceed to four short granite pillars with Philosopher's Way and view info.
- Turn right to take trail downhill, along several stairways, and exit McLaren Park at Ervine and Wilde.
- Continue east on Wilde.
- Turn right on Delta. (Note: Resume from detour here.)
- Turn left on Tioga.
- On the south side of block, turn right into Visitacion Valley Greenway, Native Plant Garden. Note: Trail through Visitacion Valley Greenway is narrow and has a stairway at one point. You may need to walk your bike. To go around, continue on Tioga to Rutland and ride Rutland downhill to Leland. Turn left on Leland.
- Turn left on Tucker..
- Turn right on Rutland; pass Greenway’s Agricultural Lot (gated) on right.
- Turn left on Campbell.
- Turn right into Greenway’s Children’s Playground.
- Turn left on Teddy and immediately right into Greenway’s Herb Garden.
- Cross Arleta, and continue into Greenway’s Community Gardens.
- Cross Raymond and continue into Greenway’s Hans Schiller Plaza.
- Exit Greenway at Leland.
- Turn left on Leland.
- At end of road, turn left on Bayshore.
- Turn right on Blanken, you are now in Little Hollywood neighborhood. Bayshore Caltrain is nearby.
- Continue through tunnel and bear left on Executive Park Blvd.
- Opposite white gates, Executive Park Blvd. curves to the right; take it down to Harney Way.
- Cross Harney Way to enter Candlestick Point State Recreation Area.
- Turn left on wide dirt trail.
- Continue on trail, past restrooms and parking lot.
- Note: Trail drops to rocky beach at one point; to detour around, exit park at crosswalk after parking lot. Turn right on Harney Way, turn right on Hunters Pt Expressway, turn right into park, and go right to restroom at far parking lot.
- Trail drops down to rocky shoreline for a short stretch, then becomes dirt again.
- Cross wooden footbridge and continue. (Note: Resume from detour here.)
- Past a parking lot and restrooms, turn right on paved trail at Pelican Group Picnic Area, heading east.
- Continue east as land becomes narrow spit, with views of water on both sides.
- Section 1 South ends at paved roundabout at Sunrise Point. (Restrooms, picnic tables, fishing pier, campground by reservation.)