Crosstown Trail Hike Cue Sheet, Northbound
Section 1 - Hike North
Sunrise Point/Candlestick Point State Recreation Area to Glen Park BART
5.3 miles / 820' elevation gain
- Section 1 North begins at Sunrise Point, Candlestick Point State Recreation Area, at paved roundabout with nearby Restrooms.
- Note: If you park in Candlestick SRA parking areas, note closure time on signs. Cars left after hours are subject to being fined and locked in.
- Take left fork and continue west on paved path, with views of water on both sides.
- Continue left at next fork.
- Past Pelican Group Picnic Area and Restrooms, turn left to go through parking lot.
- Cross wooden footbridge beyond west end of parking lot.
- Trail becomes rocky shoreline for short stretch, then resumes.
- Continue past closed fishing pier.
- Trail continues as path alongside road.
- Continue straight along this path past parking lot and restrooms to a very short path on the right that immediately leads to a zebra crossing of Harney Way.
- Cross Harney Way on crosswalk. Proceed one block up Executive Park Blvd.
- Turn left to remain on Executive Park, continuing west on north sidewalk.
- Continue through tunnel; you are now on Blanken in Little Hollywood neighborhood.
- Turn left at end of Blanken on Bayshore Blvd., opposite MUNI Metro T-Third stop at Arleta.
- Turn right at Leland Ave. (Second stoplight).
- On Leland, opposite Peabody, turn right into Hans Schiller Plaza, marked by three tiled columns. You are now entering Visitacion Valley Greenway.
- Cross Raymond, ascend Greenway three blocks.
- Turn left at Teddy and turn right mid-block to continue up Greenway.
- Turn left at Campbell.
- Turn right at Rutland, and proceed uphill one block to Tucker.
- Cross Tucker and turn left.
- Turn right into Greenway.
- Exit Greenway at Tioga and turn left.
- Turn right at Delta.
- Turn left at Wilde, enter McLaren Park. Take paved trail uphill.
- At top of stairway, you have reached an intersection with Philosopher's Way, marked with arrows on stone columns. Turn left and left again to reach intersection of Visitacion and Mansell .
- Cross Visitacion and Mansell.
- Continue along Philosopher’s Way by heading directly north on the paved path through the Cypress Allee. (Restrooms past tennis courts on your left.)
- Proceed downhill and northwest, following Philosopher’s Way arrows across a road.
- Cross Shelley Dr. and follow Philosopher’s Way arrows as trail curves right, past caretaker’s cottage. (Restrooms at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater to your left).
- Continue straight along the paved path, leaving Philosopher’s Way, to the interesction of Shelley Dr. and Cambridge Dr..
- Cross intersection and pick up paved path on left (approximately 30 feet down Cambridge).
- Proceed west on trail. At next fork, bear right and right again. Pass Restrooms on right and Yosemite Marsh on the left.
- Exit McLaren Park at Bacon and Oxford.
- Turn right on Bacon St.
- Turn left on Cambridge and walk seven blocks to Hwy. 280.
- Cross Hwy. 280 on St. Mary’s Park Footbridge and go uphill, passing trail to Alemany Farm.
- At path’s end, exit St. Mary’s Recreation Center (Restrooms) onto Murray.
- Cross Mission and continue west on Bosworth on north sidewalk.
- Section ends at Glen Park BART Station at Bosworth and Diamond.
Section 2 - Hike North
Glen Park BART Station to Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station
3.1 miles / 740' elevation gain
- Section 2 North starts at intersection of Bosworth and Diamond, at Glen Park BART.
- Proceed to the northwest corner of Bosworth and Diamond.
- Walk several yards north (downhill) on Diamond and turn left on Kern.
- Walk one block and and go straight to enter Glen Park Greenway.
- Continue three blocks straight along Glen Park Greenway to its end at Burnside.
- Bear slightly right and walk up Paradise one block to Elk.
- Turn right and cross to the other side of Elk at Chenery crosswalk
- Walk past the main entrance to Glen Canyon Park. (Restrooms located in Rec. Center building.)
- A few yards ahead, turn left on the path that goes behind the tennis courts next to the green Rec and Park sign.
- Continue up the canyon on the wide gravel road, which later narrows to a creekside trail. Follow the arrows on the sign posts that lead you to Portola Avenue (approximately 3/4 of a mile).
- At Portola, immediately cross to the other side at traffic signal.
- Turn left on the sidewalk and walk one block to Portola/Twin Peaks Blvd. intersection.
- Cross Twin Peaks Boulevard and turn right on sidewalk. Walk up Twin Peaks Boulevard one block to Panorama Drive and turn left on sidewalk.
- Just past end of sidewalk, bear left on dirt trail to enter the Laguna Honda Community Trail System.
- At the Laguna Honda Trail kiosk, take any trail that will take you downhill to the right of the two water tanks to the hospital parking lot.
- Follow the curb on north end of parking lot (side closest to Sutro Tower). Pass a stop sign and then turn right at the “Trail’ sign.
- Follow a number of switchbacks downhill. At the bottom of the hill, bear right and stay on dirt trail.
- Continue down the dirt trail approximately 1/4 mile to a junction. Head left and uphill.
- Continue up the dirt trail. At the next junction (near the edge of the parking lot), turn left and go up the trail.
- As you near Laguna Honda Blvd., look for a semi-paved path and stairway to your left, and cut over to take it down to Laguna Honda Blvd.
- Cross Laguna Honda Boulevard at crosswalk.
- Section ends at Forest Hill MUNI Station.
Section 3 - Hike North
Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station to Intersection of Judah and 16th Avenue
2.1 miles / 500'elevation gain)
- Section 3 North begins in front of Forest Hill MUNI Metro Station
- Walk up greenway on north side of station.
- Turn left at Magellan sidewalk and walk one block to intersection of Pacheco.
- Cross to other side and continue to follow Magellan.
- Ascend Pacheco Stairs that are located just past #298 Magellan.
- At top of stairs, turn left on Castenada.
- Follow Castenada, first past Lopez and then past pole marked with street signs for San Marcos and Santa Rita.
- About 20 yards further on the right you will see two yellow signs (“Narrow Street Trucks” and Not a Through Street”.) Walk up this “no through” street and a few yards later, ascend stairs embedded in a concrete wall on your right. Bear left as you ascend.
- At top of stairs, turn left on San Marcos,
- Proceed to 200 San Marcos and turn right up stairs.
- At the top of stairs, turn left on 9th Avenue.
- Turn right at 12th Avenue.
- Turn left on Quintara.
- Turn right on 14th Avenue and walk along eastern (uphill) sidewalk.
- Cross Radio Terrace and continue on 14th Avenue past Pacheco.
- At Noriega, bear right and continue along 14th Avenue.
- Continue past “Do Not Enter” sign.
- Enter Grand View Park by ascending Moraga Stairs.
- At top of stairs follow path on the left. (Before you reach the descending stairs on the west side, be sure to walk to the right a couple of yards to get a 360-degree view of the city.)
- Descend the stairs on the west side.
- Turn right at the bottom of the stairs, walk about 50 yards, and descend stairs embedded in concrete wall on left.
- At bottom of stairs, proceed straight down hill about 50 yards and descend 16th Avenue Tiled Steps on your left. (When descending, be sure to turn around to observe the beautiful artistic tiles.)
- Turn right on 16th Avenue.
- Walk along 16th Avenue, past intersections with Lomita and Lawton until you come to a second sign-post on left side mounted with both 16th Avenue and Lawton signs. Turn left, as 16th Avenue sign indicates, to descend 16th Avenue Hidden Garden Stairway. (When descending stairs, be sue to turn around to observe artistic tiles.)
- At bottom of stairs, continue straight down 16th Avenue to Judah where section ends. (Note: N Judah Outbound stops here; N Judah Inbound stops at 15th Ave.).
Section 4 - Hike North
Judah and 16th Avenue to Geary and Presidio Parkway
2.3 miles / 120' elevation gain
- Section 4 begins at intersection of 16th Avenue and Judah
- Walk down 16th Avenue to Irving and turn left.
- Turn right at 19th Avenue.
- Enter Golden Gate Park at Lincoln Way on right side of Breon Gate. Walk up asphalt path a few yards to Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
- Cross MLK Jr. Drive at stoplight, walk right about 50 yards, turn left at first asphalt path, and ascend hill adjacent to the restroom.
- When you reach the shore of Stow Lake, turn right and walk a short distance to the stone and brick Rustic Bridge.
- Cross to the other side of bridge onto the island, then turn left and follow dirt path. Keep left at two junctions, along the shore, until you arrive at the gray cement Roman Bridge.
- Cross the 2nd bridge, turn left, and follow sidewalk along shore until you arrive at the east end of the Stow Lake Boat House.
- Turn right on the very short asphalt road that descends toward the Restrooms and turn right on sidewalk.
- Cross one-way Stow Lake Drive East at crosswalk and continue east along asphalt path parallel to Stow Lake Drive.
- About 40 yards further, turn right onto dirt path.
- Bear left on the main trail as a path enters on the right; proceed behind Log Cabin and along right side of Pioneer East Meadow.
- Continue straight across next T- junction on the wide dirt path, and eventually ascends to T-stop at asphalt path on the west side of the Tea Garden.
- Turn left and descend to John F. Kennedy Drive sidewalk.
- Turn right 50 yards then cross JFK Drive at stop sign and walk through Rose Garden to Fulton.
- Cross Fulton to immediately enter dirt path of Presidio Park Greenway on right.
- Follow Presidio Park Greenway to Geary Blvd. by crossing Cabrillo, Balboa, and Anza at traffic lights.
- Section ends at Geary and Presidio Parkway.
Section 5 - Hike North
Geary and Park Presidio to Lands End Lookout Visitor Center
3.9 miles / 510 ft. elevation gain
- Section 5 North starts at northeast side of Geary and Park Presidio.
- Enter Park Presidio Greenway on dirt path between Park Presidio and Funston.
- Follow Greenway to Lake St. by crossing Clement and California at traffic lights.
- Cross Lake, cross Park Presidio.
- Walk one short block and turn right on 14th Ave.
- Walk one block and turn left on asphalt path (Anza Trail) that runs in front of Entry Gate to Presidio.
- After passing Lobos Valley Overlook, and before reaching Wedermeyer Rd., turn left on unmarked dirt trail (Lobos Creek Valley Trail).
- As you descend sandy trail, avoid all turnoffs to the right.
- As you approach the bottom of the valley floor, you will see a Lobos Creek Valley Trail sign on your left that will lead you down a few stairs to a boardwalk.
- Follow the boardwalk trail about a half mile until it ends on Bowley.
- Turn left and walk across Lincoln at crosswalk and then straight across Lincoln’s sidewalk.
- Turn left on dirt trail and 10 yards farther, turn right on another dirt trail.
- The dirt trail will eventually narrow along a chain link fence on your right.
- When the narrow trail opens up at Baker Beach, walk immediately to your left to follow Coastal Trail up stairs to a black gate at the cul de sac of 25th Ave. North.
- Exit cul de sac and turn right on Sea Cliff and walk along near sidewalk..
- When you come to a yellow Dead End sign, walk on its left to continue along Seacliff. (The dead-end road on the right descends to China Beach where there are Restrooms.)
- Seacliff sidewalk will soon merge seamlessly into El Camino del Mar sidewalk.
- Follow El Camino del Mar past 32nd Ave. and turn right to enter Lands End of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
- Follow the Coastal Trail about 1.5 miles to reach the Lands End Lookout Visitor Center (Restrooms, cafe) where section ends.