Here’s the latest from our September newsletter.
The Crosstown Trail is not signed, so our maps, cue sheets, and app are your best bet for enjoying the trail. We recently updated everything, to include a few small tweaks based on feedback. And some have asked for a GPX file, which is now available too. Get the latest versions on our website:
Here are some events along the trail this month. And some things you may want to have.
Laguna Honda Community Trails Grand Opening
Join SF Urban Riders for a ribbon cutting ceremony followed by a family friendly party. Meet the trail makers, enjoy some entertainment, and more.
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Saturday September 28th.
Laguna Honda Hospital, 375 Laguna Honda Blvd
Opening Details & RSVP
Kimchi Workshop at the Visitacion Valley Greenway 9/28
Learn how to safely make kimchi at home in the Vistiacion Valley Greenway Community Garden.
Saturday 9/28, 10-11:30
FREE, but space is limited.
RSVP to: CommunityGardens@sfgov.org
Shaping SF Public Talk: Neighborhood Corridors—Memory & Ecology
Ever wonder how the many green spaces in the city come to life? Come to this Shaping SF Talk, which will include stories of the Visitacion Valley Greenway (along the Crosstown Trail) and more.
(Note: This talk was announced after the newsletter was released!)
Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
518 Valencia: The Eric Quezada Center for Culture and Politics
More details at Shaping SF
SF Bay Area Careers in the Environment
Are you young and interested in building an environmental career working in science, administration, hands-on stewardship, or education? Then this is for you! Network, share your experience and think about what path you will take toward a career you love. The event is outdoors and will be a fun combination of hands-on science, habitat restoration, conversations, and Q & A with youth speakers.
Sat, 9/21 10:00 – 2:00, 15th Ave & Quintara St
Career Event Details & RSVP
Want to volunteer along the route? Some ways you can help:
* Laguna Honda Community Trail System work with SF Urban Riders, every 2nd Saturday of the month (details) .
* Nature in the City works on the Green Hairstreak Corridor every third Saturday of the month, in addition to other projects at places such as the Alemany Farm adjacent to the trail. (Calendar)
* The Visitacion Valley Greenway will hold its monthly third Saturday garden project, 10AM – 1PM. Meet at the Community Garden (near 141 Arleta Avenue). Contact Fran Martin if interested.
Get a shirt or a cap
The first batch of T-shirts was so popular, we got some more made. And some caps too.
If you’d like one for yourself, stop by
- Mission Blue SF in Visitacion Valley (On the trail at Leland and the Visication Valley Greenway)
- Bird & Beckett Books in Glen Park (2 blocks from the trail on Chenery)
- Online via Nature in the City
“The Walker’s Map of SF” now features Crosstown Trail
First published in 2010, The Walker’s Map of San Francisco, by Pease Press, is a complete map of the city, showing every trail, stairway, and park, plus neighborhood commercial areas, scenic vistas, and MUNI routes.
The new, fourth edition (released in July 2019), includes the Crosstown Trail; an inset map of Mount Sutro (including the Bay Area Ridge Trail reroute); new trails at Laguna Honda and Golden Gate Park; expanded text; and much more.